Frequently Asked Questions
What is Waka Ama / Outrigger Canoeing?
Outrigger canoeing is a sport in which an outrigger canoe (vaʻa, waʻa, and waka ama in Tahitian, Hawaiian, and Māori languages, respectively) is propelled by means of paddles. For more information, click here.
I would like to give Waka Ama a go, who can I contact?
Please contact a club in your local area to find out about any novice teams.
Where do I find out about upcoming events?
Please check this website or our Facebook site regularly. You may also wish to check the national website at www.wakaama.co.nz for national events and general national news on Waka Ama.
Why should my club be affiliated to Hoe Tonga? What do I get for my money?
- Paddlers of clubs affiliated to Hoe Tonga gain national recognition and are able to compete at national and regional championships
- Hoe Tonga informs paddlers of events, races and news through this website
- Paddlers and supporters affiliated to Hoe Tonga can post notices of events and news on this website
- Clubs affiliated to Hoe Tonga gain access to free race resources to make race organisation easier
- Clubs and paddlers affiliated to Hoe Tonga can influence the region’s and national body’s strategic direction of waka ama
- Elected officials can be held to account for their work at the regional and national level
- Clubs affiliated to Hoe Tonga increase the probability of success with funding applications
- Dedicated volunteers organise regional events for W1 and W6
I would be willing to help out with events and administration. How can I get in touch with the relevant people?
That’s fantastic! Please contact Hoe Tonga’s administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If I have a question for Hoe Tonga or want to raise an issue at the regional level, how do I go about it?
Please contact the Hoe Tonga administrator at email@example.com.
What’s in the name of Hoe Tonga?
‘Hoe Tonga’ means ‘Southern Paddlers’. ‘Pacifica’ means peoples of the Pacific, including Polynesian, European, Micronesian, Asian and any mix of these. It is not limited to any specific race or origin.
My club wants to organise a race, can you help?
Hoe Tonga can provide a number of relevant resources. There are also a number of knowledgable people that may be able to assist you with the organisation of an event. Please contact our administrator if you would like to make use of those resources.