After a long two weekends Hoe Tonga Waka Ama Regionals Sprint Championships wrap up for another year at Henley Lake.
Big thank you to all the volunteers and Wairarapa Waka Ama Canoe Club for hosting the event again. Thank you to all the clubs who assisted in the delivery of the event in some shape or form.
You can find all the results below.
Please note that the Dash results will be uploaded at a later time due to some technical difficulties.
Also with Race 74 Senior Master Mens 1000m straight final there was some issues with the timing system, however all the placings for this race are correct and all racing faults by teams have been considered.
Congratulations to our winners of the Club Excellence Trophy for 2019 who once again were Otaki Waka Hoe
The winners of the James Hapeta Trophy for club spirit were Wairarapa Waka Ama Canoe Club.
Well done to all our winners and participants and good luck for the Waka Ama Nationals 2020.
Hoe Tonga Regional Sprint Championships Officially kick off this weekend at Henley Lake in our W1 divisions. Just a few reminders.
- Paddlers are required to organise their own W1 to race in, the event organisers will not runaround to help look for one on the day so make sure you are prepared for something to race in.
- Participants must bring their own number holders. There will be some available for purchase at the registration desk for $5 each but stock is very limited so best to bring your own.
- All Waka must be 16kg or over. If you believe you need some weights because your waka is too light please bring some.
- If you are from out of the region you will not be eligible for the quota spots at nationals or the event prizes but still welcomed to race.
There will also be W1 Waka roof racks available at the venue. They are $150 each. If you miss out at the venue but still interested contact Kara Henare
If you are thinking of running a fundraiser at this years Hoe Tonga Regional Sprint Championships you are first required to let us know.
We welcome clubs to raise funds for their teams however to ensure that all food that is sold is up to council health standards and to ensure that 5 sausage sizzles are not running at the same time.
If you are intending on selling anything at the event, please let Matai know via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via mobile on 0221037755.
Hoe Tonga Pacifica Waka Ama Association would like to welcome Jillian Savell to the Hoe Tonga Board. She has been involved in Waka Ama since 2010 and was the Treasurer for Hawaikinui Tuarua Waka Ama Club.
She brings with her a wealth of experience in the Waka Ama space as well as accounts and payroll areas. She will assist in the governance of the region and help us achieve our strategic plan 2019-2023 which can be found below.
Once again welcome to the team Jillian.
A reminder that next Saturday (Oct 19th) Paul Roozendaal will be running a Performance Sprints steering workshop focused on turns.
Paul has advised that those who have had full crews attend the workshop, tend to get the most out of the session. Last week Paul ran a clinic in Paeroa and here is what they had to say;
“Paul came and did a steering clinic in Paeroa. He is a wealth of knowledge and I highly recommend. Paul was exceptionally patient with me as a novice steerer. He explained each paddlers role in the Waka while turning and how to do so in an efficient manner. Thanks Paul. I definitely feel more confident going into Nationals”
If you have not registered yet and interested in coming along email email@example.com with your name and phone number. It is $40 per person, runs from 9am-12pm and will be hosted at the PCKC club rooms. Email now for more information.
- Host: Hoe Tonga Pacifica Waka Ama Association
- Venue: Henley Lake, Masterton
- When: W1 November 23rd, W6 November 30th – December 1st
- Distance: W1 250/500m; W6 500m/1000m/1500m
- Divisions: Midget to Master 70
- The event is open for paddlers/teams from outside the Hoe Tonga region. Some restrictions apply to W1.
- W1 Entries Close: 14 November
- W6/W12 Entries Close: 21 November
- Roster closed on Tuesday, 20 November.
- Cost: $5 Midgets, $20 Int-J19, $30 O23+
- Race information
- W1 Entries by Event
- W1 Entries by Clubs
- W6 Entries by Event
- W6 Entries by Clubs
- Schedule W1 (added 20 Nov 2019)
- Lane Draw W1 (added 20 Nov 2019)
- Schedule W6/W12 (updated 28 Nov 2019)
- Lane Draw W6/W12 (updated 28 Nov 2019)
- Entries are to be done via your club and WANZ’s online system
- Entries for W1 and W6/W12 does have to be done separately due to the different entry close dates
- There will be a late fee if an entry is not completed by the deadline, or if the roster has not been completed on time ($15 per entry).
- There are no refunds or fee reductions for entries that withdraw after the entry deadline.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0221037755.
As spring approaches and winter departs we close off the Hoe Tonga Paddler Series in Whanganui with up to 30 entries registered for the final race
Hoe Tonga would like to thank everyone who has participated in the series but most importantly thank all our hosts. Hawaikinui Tuarua, Porirua Canoe and Kayak Club and Te Ringa Miti Tai Heke. Without your efforts our growing series would not be possible.
Special Congratulations goes out to our winning teams of the series
Junior Short Course Champions 2019: PCKC Winter Warriors PCKC
Open Short Course Champions 2019: Va’a Roa Hawaikinui Tuarua
Open Long Course Champions 2019: Sons of Poseidon PCKC
Once again we presented “He Taonga Kotahitanga”. This trophy is awarded to the club from the Hoe Tonga region that accumulates the most points, based on its best three teams. This year we have a new winner with this award being presented to Hawaikinui Tuarua
For a full overview of results follow the links below
It has come to that time of year again when we have our annual Hoe Tonga AGM and would like to invite all the club reps from each club to come along.
This year it will not be after the last race in Whanganui, instead it has moved to the end of September
DATE: Sunday September 29th 2019
VENUE: Titahi Bay Boating Club (PCKC Clubrooms)
If the usual club rep is not available may we please have an alternative person take their place. It is important that we get a representative from each club at this hui.
Race information for race four of the Hoe Tonga Paddler Series is now available follow the link below. Contact your club rep to enter your team now, Whanganui always puts on a great day for us and it is always exciting racing.
- This is the last race of the paddler series, prize giving will be at the conclusion of the last race.
- The AGM will NOT be at the conclusion of this years race, instead it has been moved to September 29th in Porirua
- Late Entries and on the day entries will NOT be accepted. Entries close on August 31st