We are sad to announce that Paul Marshall and Jillian Savell has resigned as a members of the Hoe Tonga Board.
We would like to thank them for their commitment to Waka Ama throughout the region over the years.
Paul has put in countless hours towards laying out the direction of Waka Ama in the region and has gotten his hands dirty in volunteering, in particular the Waka Ama Secondary School Regional Sprints. His passion for Waka will not be replaced.
Although Jillian has been a board member for a short time she has contributed significantly with her specialised knowledge and direction. All the best in Tauranga Jillian
Therefore there are now two vacancies available on the Hoe Tonga Board and we would encourage anyone who is enthusiastic about meeting our strategic goals of the region. The deadline for any applications will be July 31st 2020
The process is as follows:
- Nominations can be made by Member Clubs. You can nominate any individual. Nominees do not need be a member/paddler of your club or region.
- We are seeking Board members who will take an active involvement in the sport’s governance body and in the best interests of its membership as a whole. All nominees must be honest, reliable, trustworthy and comfortable to ‘walk and talk’, particularly in relation to the values of our sport (as outlined in our Strategic Plan).
- Clubs and nominees must fill in the nomination form. They must be received, completed with relevant nominee profile and sent to email@example.com. The list of nominees, along with their profiles, will be posted on the Hoe Tonga website.
- Click here to download the nomination form.
This years Hoe Tonga AGM will be done via zoom on Wednesday August 5th at 7:30pm. The link to the zoom call is just below.
This is a public meeting so anyone with an interest in Waka Ama throughout the region can join.
We ask to have at least one representative from each club to join the call and let Matai know who the nominated person will be two days before the meeting by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The agenda will be posted out at a later date.
Welcome to the Hoe Tonga Paddler Series 2020, designed to attract new paddlers to our sport, and to enable paddlers and teams to race during the winter season
Races consist of a long course (12-18km) for senior teams, and a shorter course (6-9km) for junior and novice (1st year paddling) teams. The Series is overseen by Hoe Tonga, but each individual race is hosted and organised by member clubs or event organisers.
As in previous years, the series is big on participation and we will have again a range of spot prizes, including a brand new paddle.
Click here to download the full information package for the Series.
Please note: Any canoes with visible damage or cracks will be considered not seaworthy and will not pass safety checks.
Please note that race details from the full pack is subject to change. Please keep an eye on specific race information.
Race 1 (PCKC): 11th July (Sat), Onepoto
Race 2 (Hawaikinui): 1st August (Sat), Ngati Toa Domain
Race 3 (Whanganui River Outrigger Canoe Club): 5th September (Sat), Whanganui
WANZ have shared the requirements for level 2 for getting out onto the water. Have a read below. Good news is you can jump back on your W6 but W12 are still a no go. Stay safe and fun out there.
A reminder to all paddlers that we are still at level 3 of the Covid 19 alert system. This means no W6 or W12 are to be on the water. You can still jump on W1 but please adhere to the current restrictions to keep everyone safe. Hopefully only a few more days to go with this restriction but it is there to keep everyone safe.
Yesterday morning there was a crew out on a W6 which was spotted by people in their W1 and other members of the public who are not involved in Waka Ama. This is not a good look for our kaupapa so please be patient and wait until the restriction is lifted.
Kia ora koutou! After the success of our online courses over the past few weeks, WANZ have added another four sessions for next week. Enter online now, there is a range of times and dates to suit! Contact email@example.com if you have any further questions
They will be on the dates
- Tuesday 5th May – How to Coach 10am
- Thursday 7th May – Paddling Basics 2pm
- Saturday 9th May – How to Coach 2pm
- Sunday 10th May – Paddling Basics 10am
Follow this link to enter: https://enternowonline.com/4424/events
Waka Ama Foundation Coaching Course proudly brought to you by Waka Ama NZ and delivered by Corrina Gage.
Modules to be delivered online:
- Waka Ama – How to coach (3-4hrs): This module will cover skills and techniques to become an effective coach
- Waka Ama – Coaching paddling basics (3-4hrs): This module will cover an introduction to waka ama, getting started and the paddling stroke
COST (per course, per person):
- $17.50 Waka Ama NZ Affiliated paddlers (affiliated to an NZ waka ama club – WANZ ID will be needed to register)
- $30.00 New Zealand residents – who are not affiliated to a Waka Ama NZ member club
- $50.00 International Registrations – please note all courses are in New Zealand Standard Time
Minimum of 10 registered for the course to go ahead, a maximum of 20 per course.
Registrations for each course will close the day beforehand
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions
With winter approaching and COVID 19 being a concern for society we have had to restructure the upcoming paddler series.
Therefore, with the current situation Hoe Tonga have decided to reduce this year’s Winter Paddler Series to three races, with the first race on July 11th. The race on May 16th is now OFFICIALLY CANCELLED.
The events currently going ahead are (Subject to the current pandemic)
- July 11th: PCKC
- August 1st: Hawaikinui Tuarua
- September 5th: Whanganui River Outrigger Canoe Club
Paddler Series Pānui
If you are not yet aware, WANZ are running the How to Coach and Paddling Basics Coaching Course online over the next couple of weeks. These courses will be delivered online with Corrina Gage. This is a great opportunity for coaches and paddlers to upskill during the lockdown – or even just an opportunity to get a waka ama fix!
Here are the List of Dates
- Thursday 16th April – Paddling Basics – 10am
- Saturday 18th April – How to Coach – 10am
- Sunday 19th April – Paddling Basics – 2pm
- Tuesday 21st April – How to Coach – 10am
- Thursday 23rd April – Paddling Basics – 2pm
- Saturday 25th April – How to Coach – 10am
- Sunday 26th April – Paddling Basics 2pm
The cost is $17.50 per person, per course for affiliated paddlers. Waka Ama NZ ID Number must be supplied and will be checked as affiliated. For Non-affiliated paddlers, the cost per course is $30 per person.
Registrations for each course will close the day beforehand. Contact email@example.com
if you have any questions.
If anyone has seen 2 missing W6 Trolleys please contact Mereana Hodges on 0272064492.