Message to Porirua Clubs

Nau mai, haere mai, eke mai!

This is a karanga to all our waka ama whānau based in Porirua – this includes our clubs and paddlers affiliated to Hoe Tonga and also any other waka ama paddlers in the Porirua area who may not affiliated to Hoe Tonga but are part of our waka community and whānau.

We’d like to invite you to a hui to discuss the challenges and opportunities facing our waka ama whānau in Porirua.

When: 2.00pm, Sunday 31 October 2021

Where:  Te Rūnanga o Toa Rangatira Inc, on the corner of Te Hiko St and Ngāti Toa St, Takapūwāhia, Porirua (just opposite the marae).

At our recent AGM, one of the topics that generated a lot of discussion was around some of the challenges that have been facing our waka whānau based around Te Awarua-o-Parirua, the Porirua Harbour. In particular, the limited space available to the increasing number of harbour users wanting to enjoy the water, and the lack of resources/facilities available to support our waka community.

There was general agreement from the clubs present that the time is right for our waka community to come together to have a kōrero about our aspirations for waka ama in Porirua. How we can work together to address some of these challenges we are facing as a waka community, and also create opportunities for our waka whānau in the rohe. This hui is intended as a forum for this kōrero to happen. Hope you can join us!  

Please RSVP to: by Friday 29 October 2021

Sprint Regionals 2021

At this stage we are still planning on running our regional events over at Henley Lake but with the uncertainty around Covid-19 and the current level system there may be some changes.

If we remain at L2 our W1 races will still be held but will be run under the guidelines set out by Waka Ama NZ. We hope to release these details this coming weekend. Unfortunately if we remain at L2 we may not be able to hold the team races, we will keep you updated as more information comes to hand.

We appreciate your patience as we navigate Covid-19 Level restrictions and understand its not ideal, however we hope that all our clubs and their members are enjoying being able to train and be on the water. Although there is no certainty that Waka Ama is heading down the path to participants at events having to have their vaccinations, we are encouraging all our members to get vaccinated. Like all other major events there is that possibility that this will be put into place. So please encourage your club members, whanau and friends to get vaccinated.

If you have any questions or queries please get in touch with us.

Waka Ama NZ Covid-19 Information and Webinar

With summer rolling around fast, Waka Ama NZ are gearing up for another busy summer of paddling and events all around Aotearoa. We can’t wait to see you all again and especially looking forward to Sprint Nationals in January, Takapuna Beach Cup in February, Secondary School Nationals in March and Long Distance Nationals in April. 

It has been a difficult and challenging 18 months, but here in Aotearoa, we have been pretty lucky to be able to still paddle, compete and mostly continue to do what we love on the water. 

Moving forward as we learn more about this current outbreak and learn to live with COVID 19 in our lives, it is important to Waka Ama New Zealand that our community and our Waka Ama whānau are as safe and protected as possible. 

There are lots of measures that we can all take to help protect ourselves and our whānau and these are available on the Covid 19 website:

One of the biggest tools we have available for protection is the COVID 19 Vaccine. Being fully vaccinated, if you are eligible, will help ensure our community is safe from the virus, it will also help to protect those who are not eligible to receive the vaccine and it will help to ensure that Waka Ama events can continue to take place over summer. 

Waka Ama New Zealand encourage our entire waka ama community to get vaccinated if you are within the eligible ages. 

Over the coming days and weeks, we will be sharing information about the vaccination and vaccination rollout to help to inform those who are not yet vaccinated. We encourage all of our Regions and Clubs to pass on credible information about the Covid 19 vaccine to their members and whānau. 

On Wednesday 13th October at 7pm we will be hosting a Webinar that will be open for anyone to attend and hear from leading medical practitioners (who are also part of our waka ama whānau), who will talk about the Covid 19 vaccine and answer questions. We encourage you to join that webinar and pass it on to anyone who may be interested. More information on how to sign up here

Whilst we haven’t received any directive from the Government yet regarding a vaccine mandate for events, this may be something that takes effect in the near future and to avoid disappointment, those who are putting off getting vaccinated should initiate the process now. 

Here is a link that provides all the info on how to book your vaccine

Waka Ama New Zealand is here to answer any questions that you may have, please don’t hesitate to ask by emailing

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa Waka Ama Sprint Nationals 2022

Online entries are open for the Te Wānanga o Aotearoa Waka Ama Sprint Nationals 2022 – all info can be found here:

Pānui 1 and a Nationals COVID FAQs is online here: 

Waka Ama NZ are currently working on the premise that our 2022 National Sprint Championships at Lake Karāpiro in January will be going ahead. We know times are uncertain and we are monitoring any changes with regard to COVID-19 moving forward – check out the COVID FAQs for more information.

Waka Ama NZ will be sending regular updates leading up to January. In the meantime don’t hesitate to contact if you have any further questions.

Windy City Downwind Event

Wellingtons premier downwind paddling event featuring surfski, Waka-Ama and SUP categories and proudly part of the Darcey Price Series.

Date: 30th October 2021 – 11:30am race breifing.

Early Bird Pricing (Before 3rd October):
U23 $10 (Short or Long Course)
Open $50 (Short or Long Course)

Late Entry Pricing (4th – 30th October):
U23 $20 (Short or Long Course)
Open $90 (Short or Long Course)

For up to date race information see event website:

Online Coaching Clinics

Waka Ama NZ are providing an opportunity for coaches to jump online and take part in some upskilling this weekend and delivered by Corrina Gage.

Saturday 18 September 9am-12pm💥

How to Coach
Sunday 19 September 9am-12pm💥

Paddling Basics

Entries close Friday 17 Sept at 12pm
Enter Now!:

Hoe Tonga Pacifica Waka Ama Association Annual General Meeting

We would like to let our wider community know that we will be holding our Annual General Meeting next week. All clubs have been notified and will have a club representative online during this meeting. Please see the details below:

Date: Thursday 23rd September

Time: 7.30pm

Due to our current Covid-19 Levels this will be an online event.

If you would like to attend please get in touch with us:

L2 Covid-19 Update

As we head into L2 from 11.59pm tonight please make sure you follow the guidelines on the following link :

It’s important in order to keep yourselves and your wider paddling community safe that you take the appropriate steps in making the changes required.


Unfortunately the Paddler Series Race that was due to be held on the Whanganui River and hosted by Te RInga Miti Tai Heke on the 25th of September has now been cancelled.

As far as we know the Tai Tonga event Nga Mata o te Ariki Tawhirimatea has also been postponed, we will update you with any information as soon as we can.

Sprint Regionals are set for the following dates and more information will be out in the next couple of weeks.

27th and 28th November-W6 and W12 Races

4th December-W1 Races

Again we would like to thank all the clubs for being diligent around the Covid-19 Level changes and requirements. Please remember to stay home if you are feeing unwell.

Level 4-Covid Restrictions

As the nation is now in L4 we just want to remind you of the restrictions around Waka Ama.

Waka Ama Alert Level 4

  • All events on the waka ama calendar this week will be cancelled/postponed, and if the shutdown is extended further, those events outside of the 3-7 day shutdown will be cancelled/postponed also
  • All Waka Ama club and team trainings/events are cancelled during Alert Level 4.
  • Do not go paddling during Alert Level 4 or do any other activities that may require search and rescue services. For example, do not go swimming, surfing, boating, hunting or tramping

For more information please check out

We know that this has effected many of our own Waka Ama events this weekend but if we do our part in staying home and off the water we will be able to return to the water sooner. Our priority is always for the health and safety of our paddlers, their whanau and wider community. So please no paddling for this period of time.

Please note that the Tai Tonga event Ngā Mata o te Ariki Tāwhirimātea has been tentatively postponed with a new date of September 11th pending sanctioning.

The Coaching Courses that were going to be held on Sunday 22nd August in Wellington are also cancelled. However Waka Ama NZ have got a couple of online coaching clinics with Corinna Gage via zoom this weekend. Please see the information below:

Saturday 21st August 9am – How to Coach SprintRacing
Sunday 22nd August 9am – How to Coach Distance Racing
Online entry link available here:

Each course will cost $30 for affiliated members and $60 for non affiliated members.

Stay Safe, Be Kind, Stay Home. See you all on the water again soon.