The inaugural ‘HAVE A GO! Harbour Series will be made up of two junior regattas that will run in the two weekends prior to the Wellington Hoe Tonga Regional Sprint Championships in December.
- ‘HAVE A GO!’ Harbour Series: Regatta 1 – Saturday 24 November 2012
(Sunday 25 November as a back-up if weather is bad)
- ‘HAVE A GO!’ Harbour Series: Regatta 2 – Saturday 1 December 2012
(Sunday 2 December as a back-up if weather is bad) Note: The Hoe Tonga Regional Sprint Championships will be held the following weekend on Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th December.
Where: Porirua Harbour
Open to: Midget, Intermediate, J16 and J19 crews and paddlers from the Hoe Tonga region
Cost: $5 per paddler – this is a set fee that will cover the paddler for all races at both regattas. No discounted fee will be offered for paddlers only attending one regatta.
- to provide a race environment for our junior paddlers to practise: getting out to the start line, lining up on the start line, reading the start flags, racing alongside other crews, and having a go at turns
- to provide an opportunity for kids that may be interested in entering W1s at Regionals and Nationals to ‘HAVE A GO!’ in a fun and safe environment
- to provide more experienced junior paddlers with a chance to try out their race strategies and to see what they still need to work on for Regionals and Nationals
The ‘HAVE A GO! Harbour Series aims to help clubs provide a graduated approach to introducing junior paddlers to a sprint race environment. Because of this, the race course will be set as follows:
- Regatta 1: a very basic course will be set with start and finish buoys – no lanes. The programme will include 250m & 500m races for W1 and W6 – no turn races.
- Regatta 2: a full four-lane race course will be set and the programme will include 1000m turn races for intermediate, J16 and J19 grades as well as other events.
EXPRESSION OF INTEREST – At this stage, we are asking for clubs to just register an Expression of Interest for the ‘HAVE A GO! Harbour Series. This will help us work out how many races we need to plan for at each regatta.
To register your club’s Expression of Interest, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org noting:
- your club name and a contact person for communications around this event;
- the number of W6 crews you are planning to register for each grade (midget girls, etc); and
- the number of paddlers you are planning to register for W1 races in each grade.
Please note: this is just an Expression of Interest at this stage – you do not need to provide paddler details or registration money at this time.
By when: Expressions of Interest from clubs must be received no later than 31 October 2012.
What next: Once we get an idea of how many clubs are interested and the number of paddlers and crews we can expect to enter the series, an Invitation to Register will be sent out on Saturday 27th October to all clubs that have expressed an interest in entering. Clubs will then have until Friday 16 November to register their paddlers and to pay their registration fees for the series.
For more information:If you have any queries or would like further information, please contact:
PCKC Committee Member cell. 021 645 625 ph. (04) 236 8804 (hm) ph. (04) 913 2499 (wk) email@example.com
We look forward to hearing from you and to seeing you all out on the water with your kids this summer!
Porirua Canoe Kayak Club Inc.
Mereana HodgesSecretary/Porirua Canoe Kayak Club Inc.