Hoe Tonga getting Around
We are getting out and about, introducing ourselves and learning more about the clubs. Please if you are having a club committee/ executive meeting we will would welcome the opportunity for one of our board members to attend. Let us know when your club meetings are on by sending an email to email@example.com.
For those interested in more detail, you can find minutes of the Hoe Tonga Board meetings at https://hoetonga.co.nz/about-2/governance-board/meetings/
Regionals wrap up
At the end of 2017, we had our most successful regionals to date in terms of participant numbers with over 500 paddlers participating on the day and nearly 130 races.
- The first time where we had all volunteers sorted prior to the event without any gaps for stations.
- Holding the 12 man races on Saturday allowed the event to run to time on the Sunday and add addition races
- We had some complications with water quality and weed. This was an additional cost and took significant effort to clear before the races. Masterton District Council Hoe Tonga is working to alter the lakes water flow to allow more fresh water to flow into the lake improving the water quality and reducing the weeds. This will go to the resource consent stage in the middle of 2018, and we are looking to strongly support this action.
Paddler Series planning
- We have received interest from clubs wanting to host races in this year’s long distances paddler series during winter.
- There was some concern about the point system last year and Hoe Tonga invited feedback from clubs on this. We will be maintaining the point system from last year, but adding a stipulation around competing in one division – more details to come.
- Races will be approximately 4 weeks apart.
- Dates and information will be available on the HT website, and HT Facebook, likely from late March.
Regional Development Officer
- We are in contract negotiations with Sport Wellington, in order to lock in the funding that they approved in principle. We are hoping to the RDO in place by the middle of 2018, initial funding is for one year to deliver on key objectives such as growth for waka ama in schools.
- Our strategic plan 2014-2018 will need to be replaced with a new one. We will be in touch with clubs in the next couple of months with details for a workshop to start that process.