And this was it for 2016. A few “firsts” at this event:
- Our biggest Regionals yet, with over 300 entries and 109 races.
- The first time that the entire Regionals were held in Masterton
- The first time that we had W12 races
- The first time that we have run the turn races in the “chase format” (two teams in each turn lane)
A big thank you to Trust House and the Copthorne Hotel in Masterton for housing some of our key officials.
And of course a big thank you to all officials, volunteers and supporters that made this event possible. Many of them pulled big hours to make this event happen, some of this started over 9 months ago. To name but a few:
- Race course set-up, venue preparation and infrastructure: Paddy, Kath and the wider team from Wairarapa WACC; generator provided by Lawrence
- W6 provision and transport: Hikoikoi Waka Club and Porirua Canoe Kayak Club
- Finish line officials: Marinna, Petra, Andy, Gaylene and Patience
- Start line officials: Chris, Michael, Maria
- Flag boat officials: Matt and De’Sharna
- Loading Bay: Karmen, and various other helpers to bail from Wairarapa WACC, Toa, and PCKC
- Marshalling/Announcer: Shanara and Ohomairangi
- Registration officials: Gaylene, Pania, Bubba, Brenda and Paula
- Photography: Chris, Kathlene et al
- Race director: Joern
- IT pre-event support: Alex Ryder
- Event organisation: Joern and Gaylene
- DJ: Greg
Results and photos
We had live results on the day (still online) but if you missed it, click here to download a file showing all results. You can also replay some of the races at http://www.yacht-bot.com/races/11795 (unfortunately only the first 3 hours of Saturday’s racing as some trackers were not properly charged prior to the event).
Photos are now available. Please check Hoe Tonga’s facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Hoetonga/
Finally, the Club Excellence Award was again won by Porirua Canoe Kayak Club (112 points), the fourth year in a row albeit with Otaki Waka Hoe very close behind this time (93 points)! The James Hapeta Club Spirit Award was awarded to Wairarapa Waka Ama Canoe Club. Congratulations.
Unfortunately we ran out of time to do a prize giving on Saturday following the W6 and W12 races. Ribbons for the place getters will be posted to each club as soon as possible.