Preparations are in full swing for Race 3 next Saturday.
Click here to download a couple of maps to show you where to go (before you get to the bridge at Paremata, turn off SH1 into Pascoe Ave to get to Ngati Toa Domain), and a detailed map of the site.
Please set up all W6 on the grass area, with the bows of canoes facing the channel. Please keep them reasonably tight so that there is enough room for all.
Please store trailer toward the northern part of the grass area.
Note that the launching ramp at Ngati Toa is currently not usable as a storm has washed away a part of the beach. Therefore, please leave room for support boats to be launched toward the southern part of the grass area.
Also, a friendly reminder to bring skirts. For the senior race, if conditions allow, we will go out to either Titahi Bay or “the Point”. Therefore, skirts may be mandatory.
Links for the live racing will be posted separately on Thursday before the race.
Two vacancies for elected Board member positions will arise at our upcoming AGM on 23 September. This is due to Hoe Tonga’s constitutional requirements, whereby two Board Members shall retire from the Board at every second AGM.
Hoe Tonga would like to acknowledge the efforts of Board Member Denise Hapeta, who has signaled her intention to resign at the upcoming AGM.
In addition, Tane Cassidy has offered his resignation in line with constitutional requirements, but has expressed his willingness to be reappointed (for one of the two appointed positions available on our Board). Our Board intends to take him up on that offer, an update will occur later next month.
As a result of the vacancies for two elected positions, Hoe Tonga is calling for nominations for two new elected Board members.
The process is as follows:
- Nominations can be made by Member Clubs. You can nominate any individual. Nominees do not need be a member/paddler of your club or region.
- We are seeking Board members who will take an active involvement in the sport’s governance body and in the best interests of its membership as a whole. All nominees must be honest, reliable, trustworthy and comfortable to ‘walk and talk’, particularly in relation to the values of our sport (as outlined in our Strategic Plan).
- Clubs and nominees must fill in the nomination form. They must be received, complete with relevant nominee profile by 11 September 2017, at email@example.com. The list of nominees, along with their profiles, will be posted on the Hoe Tonga website.
- The election of the new member(s) will take place at the Hoe Tonga AGM on 23 September 2017 in Whanganui (following the final race of the Hoe Tonga Paddla Series)
- Click here to download the nomination form.
- Our AGM on 23 September will have two key agenda items: (1) Presentation of the annual report , including financial report, and questions and answers from Board members, and (2) Election of two new Board members by affiliated clubs.
Here the results for race 2 of the series, hosted by Porirua Canoe Kayak Club. A big thank you to PCKC for organising a great event, again with a massive 26 team entries.
Click here to download the results (corrected 15 August).
If you have photos from the event, please post them to the Hoe Tonga facebook page.
The next event is scheduled for 2 September, at Ngati Toa Domain.
- Host: Hoe Tonga Pacifica Waka Ama Association
- Venue: Henley Lake, Masterton
- When: 9-10 December
- Distance: W1 250/500m; W6 500m/1000m/1500m
- Divisions: Midget to Master 70
- The event is open for paddlers/teams from outside the Hoe Tonga region. Some restrictions apply to W1.
- Entries close on Thursday, 30 November.
- Roster closes on Tuesday, 5 December.
- Waiver form for team W6 entries
- Waiver form for W1 entries
- Entries are to be done via your club and WANZ’s online system
- There will be a late fee if an entry is not completed by the deadline, or if the roster has not been completed on time ($15 per entry).
- There are no refunds for entries that withdraw after the entry deadline.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 021-1250997.
Porirua Canoe Kayak Club has provided further information on trailer parking and canoe un/loading for the event this coming Saturday. Please click here to download.
The panui for Race 2 of the Hoe Tonga Paddla Series is now online at https://hoetonga.co.nz/2017/05/06/hoe-tonga-paddla-series-2017/. Entries should open within the next few days, once sanctioning is formally confirmed.
Mana Kayak Racing Club is organising a 10km event at Onepoto on 6 August. The event is open to waka ama paddlers (W1 and W2). Sorry, but this is not suitable for W6, please compete at the Hoe Tonga Paddla Series for W6 instead.
For more information on this race, please click here.
- Date: Sunday, 6 August 2017 9:00 a.m.
Location: Mana Kayak Racing Club, Cnr Titahi Bay Rd & Onepoto Rd, Porirua
Organiser: MKRC; Matt Warren; 027 475 7323; email@example.com
- Entry fee: $15 pp ($5 late fee if entering on the day)
A big thank you to Hikoikoi Waka Club for a fantastic event on Wellington Harbour on 8 July. With 37 teams, this was the biggest long distance event in Wellington since the last Long Distance Nationals were held in our region in 2012.
Please click here to download the results. Photos and videos are available on the Hoe Tonga facebook page.
Entries close Wednesday 28 June
See link below for full details