Kia ora koutou! After the success of our online courses over the past few weeks, WANZ have added another four sessions for next week. Enter online now, there is a range of times and dates to suit! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any further questions
They will be on the dates
- Tuesday 5th May – How to Coach 10am
- Thursday 7th May – Paddling Basics 2pm
- Saturday 9th May – How to Coach 2pm
- Sunday 10th May – Paddling Basics 10am
Follow this link to enter: https://enternowonline.com/4424/events
Waka Ama Foundation Coaching Course proudly brought to you by Waka Ama NZ and delivered by Corrina Gage.
Modules to be delivered online:
- Waka Ama – How to coach (3-4hrs): This module will cover skills and techniques to become an effective coach
- Waka Ama – Coaching paddling basics (3-4hrs): This module will cover an introduction to waka ama, getting started and the paddling stroke
COST (per course, per person):
- $17.50 Waka Ama NZ Affiliated paddlers (affiliated to an NZ waka ama club – WANZ ID will be needed to register)
- $30.00 New Zealand residents – who are not affiliated to a Waka Ama NZ member club
- $50.00 International Registrations – please note all courses are in New Zealand Standard Time
Minimum of 10 registered for the course to go ahead, a maximum of 20 per course.
Registrations for each course will close the day beforehand
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions
With winter approaching and COVID 19 being a concern for society we have had to restructure the upcoming paddler series.
Therefore, with the current situation Hoe Tonga have decided to reduce this year’s Winter Paddler Series to three races, with the first race on July 11th. The race on May 16th is now OFFICIALLY CANCELLED.
The events currently going ahead are (Subject to the current pandemic)
- July 11th: PCKC
- August 1st: Hawaikinui Tuarua
- September 5th: Whanganui River Outrigger Canoe Club
Paddler Series Pānui
If you are not yet aware, WANZ are running the How to Coach and Paddling Basics Coaching Course online over the next couple of weeks. These courses will be delivered online with Corrina Gage. This is a great opportunity for coaches and paddlers to upskill during the lockdown – or even just an opportunity to get a waka ama fix!
Here are the List of Dates
- Thursday 16th April – Paddling Basics – 10am
- Saturday 18th April – How to Coach – 10am
- Sunday 19th April – Paddling Basics – 2pm
- Tuesday 21st April – How to Coach – 10am
- Thursday 23rd April – Paddling Basics – 2pm
- Saturday 25th April – How to Coach – 10am
- Sunday 26th April – Paddling Basics 2pm
The cost is $17.50 per person, per course for affiliated paddlers. Waka Ama NZ ID Number must be supplied and will be checked as affiliated. For Non-affiliated paddlers, the cost per course is $30 per person.
Registrations for each course will close the day beforehand. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
if you have any questions.
If anyone has seen 2 missing W6 Trolleys please contact Mereana Hodges on 0272064492.
Congratulation to everyone who competed last week at the Hoe Tonga Secondary School Regional Sprint Championships for 2020. There was great weather and awesome racing, it is great to see the competition become more competitive each year.
For the full results follow the link below.
Secondary Regional Sprint Results
Since the results for the 500m final races were not available on the day we will allow teams to submit enquiries for the 500m Final Races only. Up until Wednesday 25th March midday. Please email email@example.com to submit an enquiry.
Winners of the 500m races will have medals sent to the school.
Following the announcement made earlier today by the New Zealand Government informing all events larger than 500 participants to cancel
(along with the further announcement from School Sport New Zealand regarding S
econdary School Summer Tournament week http://www.nzsssc.co.nz/newsarticle/88188?enewsid=20370
), Waka Ama New Zealand will be cancelling the Secondar
y School Waka Ama Nationals scheduled to take place from 30th of March to 2nd April 2020.
Due to the size and scale of our event and the busyness of the full Secondary School calendar, not to mention the extra pressure that schools will be under with as yet unknown future COVID-19 implications, any consideration given to postponement was deemed impossible.
This decision is made in the interests of the health and welfare of the public, along with the well being of our Waka Ama whānau, Secondary Schools and most importantly the participants, volunteers and event organisers.
With 131 Secondary Schools entered and 2000 plus students the event would have been our biggest yet, however we look forward to the Waka Ama Secondary School Nationals in 2021 which will be the 20th edition of the event and another great milestone for our sport.
We would like to thank Te Waiariki Purea Trust for all the work they have done on the ground to organise the event this year. Also thanks to our Waka Fleet partner Te Wānanga o Aotearoa for their support leading up to the event, and to the New Zealand Sports Collective who we were working with (alongside Sky Sport Next) to live stream the event for the first time.
A very special mihi to all of the schools, teachers, clubs and coaches who have trained so hard to come to the event. We appreciate all of the mahi that goes on in order to get school teams organised to attend. Thank you all for your continued support of Waka Ama and this event
If you have any questions relating to the cancellation of the event you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any concerns regarding COVID-19, you can call the dedicated Healthline for free on 08003585453 (or +64 9 358 5453 if you’re using an international SIMS)
Please ensure that you are aware of all the health precautions necessary to limit the spread of the virus. This Ministry of Health link, answers many common questions about COVID-19 at health.govt.nz/covid-19
Take care of one another
Kia Ora Koutou
This is a request for anyone who is able to help volunteer at the Secondary School Sprints tomorrow. Unfortunately we have had several of our volunteers become sick and with the concern with Covid-19 thought it would be best to ask for replacements.
Key areas we are after is
Timekeeping, flag boat assisting and Loading Bay.
If anyone can help please let our team at registration know tomorrow or text Matai on 0221037755.
Anyone planning on fundraising at the Secondary School Regionals please let Matai know at email@example.com.
This is to ensure we do not have people selling the same things on the day. e.g three sausage sizzles running.
- Host: Hoe Tonga Pacifica Waka Ama Association
- Venue: Onepoto, Porirua
- When: Saturday, 14 March 2020 (reserve day is 15 March)
- Divisions: J19, J16, Year 7/8
- Entries close on 6 March 2020 at 8pm
- There are no refunds for entries after the entry cut-off date where paddlers chose not to race or show up on race day (even if invoices have not yet been received, or schools have not yet settled relevant entry fees).
- Entries are to be done via each school (through the school sports coordinators)
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.